What Type of Siding Should You Choose? If you’re looking for an affordable, low-maintenance way to beautify your Ann Arundel County home, siding is an excellent option. The right siding will give your home a fresh look, improve its energy efficiency and increase its resale value.
Does the word siding make you think of flat, boring houses that all look alike? Think again. Today’s siding offers many choices of texture, color and materials, and you’re certain to find one that fits your personal style.
Find the Right Siding for Your Annapolis or Severna Park Home
The right siding will fit your home’s overall style.
It’s also important to choose the right siding for the weather you’re facing. Here in Ann Arundel County, we enjoy mostly temperate weather, but humidity is a constant concern. You need siding that will stand up to our yearly storms, heavy rainfall and hot summers.
If you need help choosing siding, contact us any time. We’re happy to help you make a selection you can live with for many happy years.
Most Popular Siding Types
As you can see, you have a lot of options for new siding.
This is the most popular siding because it’s affordable, easy to install and available everywhere. Today’s vinyl is a far cry from the old-fashioned styles you might remember from vinyl’s earlier days. It comes in a wide variety of finishes. You can even get vinyl that looks like stone or wood.
- Pros: Vinyl is always a reliable choice. It is low-maintenance, never needs painting and can last 25 years.
- Cons: It won’t match every style of housing. It’s also prone to cracking when exposed to strong sunlight.
Aluminum looks similar to vinyl, but it’s lighter. Aluminum provides better insulation than vinyl.
- Pros: You can paint it. It’s easy to install. Aluminum is great for damp regions because it doesn’t rot or mildew.
- Cons: It’s more likely to dent than other types of siding. You will need to repaint it several times over its lifetime.
Composite or Cement Fiber
This durable, versatile siding comes in styles that simulate wood but never rot or fade. This siding has grown in popularity for its good looks, fire resistance and pest resistance. Ask for James Hardie cement fiber if you want a high-quality composite.
- Pros: It stands up to wind, rain, insects and sunlight. It comes with a 50-year guarantee.
- Cons: It is slightly more expensive than other options. It’s also more difficult to install. You’ll need a knowledgeable contractor.
This is a new composite the manufacturer calls “engineered wood.” It’s made from recycled wood blended with waxes, resins and zinc borate. The blend creates siding with a wood finish that is durable and low-maintenance.
- Pros: It’s a great way to get a wood look without the downsides of genuine wood. SmartSide resists rot and termites.
- Cons: It is one of the most expensive options.
This is the strongest siding type you can buy. Steel can stand up to hurricanes, hail and heavy snow.
- Pros: It is a tough material that will last up to 50 years. It never needs painting or refinishing.
- Cons: Steel does not provide any insulation. It’s also prone to rusting. It’s a terrible choice for homes near the ocean or in high-humidity areas.
Stone or Brick Veneer
Choose veneer if you want a natural, durable material. Veneer siding is heavy. You will need professional installation.
- Pros: Stone and brick are naturally beautiful. They stand up to rot, insect infestation, fire, and wind.
- Cons: Veneer is the most costly siding to install. You must maintain the mortar to prevent mildew and deterioration.
Cedar and Other Woods
You can install wood as shake, clapboard or lap. You can finish or paint wood in your choice of colors.
- Pros: Wood has timeless elegance. If it’s properly installed, wood siding can last 50 years or more.
- Cons: Wood is prone to rotting and insect infestation. You must keep it painted. In a humid environment like ours, stone veneer and composite are better choices.
Do You Need Siding Repair or New Siding?
If you live in Ann Arundel County and you need help with your siding, call us today. We’ll inspect your siding to determine if you need repairs, refinishing or a full replacement. We’re a family-owned business that has been serving customers in the area for over 50 years. We look forward to helping you create a home you love.